When a baby is inside the mother’s womb, it is protected by many elements of the uterus. But when the baby enters into the outer world, we need to provide protection to the tiny soul by every mean. Baby dry skin is a common problem that many babies face. Rough and dry skin, painful cracks are not at all a pleasant thing for your baby and you too. And we can’t just imagine a baby going through such a painful phase.
You can prevent it with some basic precautions and remedies. There are simple ways to keep baby’s skin soft, supple, and healthy. And with the help of these remedies, the baby will have a happy skin forever.
Baby Dry Skin – Causes, Symptoms And Preventive Measures
A newborn baby has a whitish colored coating of vernix caseosa. This coating protects the baby’s skin inside the womb. And as soon as the baby enters the outer world, a medical practitioner wipes off this coating called vernix caseosa and exposes baby’s real skin. And so baby’s skin starts becoming dry once this creamy layer is wiped off.
Initially, the baby does not need any moisturizer but you can use a good moisturizing lotion for babies after consulting with the pediatrician.
As the baby grows, many internal and external factors start affecting a baby’s overall health including skin health. And you need to pay attention to these factors and take the right care of your baby.
Causes of Dry Skin In Babies
Skin can start losing moisture due to various reasons and that can cause skin dryness in babies. And soon the skin can look patchy, scaly and cracked. Sometimes these cracks can bleed too if not treated well on time.
Factors That Can Cause Dry Skin In Babies Are:
- Harsh Soaps – Always make sure you use only mild baby soaps for your baby’s delicate skin. Non-baby soaps or the soaps containing harmful chemicals can lead to several issues including dry skin of babies. List of best baby soaps in India
- Weather – Extreme cold and dry weather can make baby’s skin dry too. So be careful about the weather change and take precautions accordingly.
- Long Baths – Avoid giving long baths to the babies as it can be harmful to the natural layer of moisture on the skin of babies. Long baths can dismantle skin’s protective layers leading to dry and scaly skin in babies.
- Dehydration – If the babies are not well hydrated, their skin can get dehydrated too. Make sure the newborn baby is breastfed well till the age of 6 months and babies over the age of 6 months should have enough water throughout the day.
- Constipation – Constipation can be one reason for bad skin health. Check here how to relieve constipation in babies and kids
Symptoms Of Baby Dry Skin
- White dry patches that can get peeled
- The rough and scaly skin texture
- Flaky skin texture
- Dry red patchy skin
- Fine to deep bleeding cracks on the skin
- The tightness of the skin that looks overstretched
Natural Ways To Avoid Baby Dry Skin
- Avoid Long Baths
- Avoid Very Cold or Very Hot Water for Baby’s bath, prefer lukewarm water
- While buying Baby Care Products, choose gentle and natural baby products – Purchase Here
- Don’t Let The Baby Sit In Soapy Water or Bubble Bath For a Longer Time
- Cover The Kids With Skin Friendly Clothing
- Wash Baby Clothes With Gentle Laundry Detergents – Purchase Here
Natural Remedies For Baby Dry Skin
- Use A Good Quality Baby Moisturizer or Baby Body Lotion – Purchase Here
- Keep Baby Well-Hydrated Throughout The Day
- Massage Baby Skin With Gentle Baby Massage Oils Like Coconut Oil and Almond Oil
- Even A Full Body Ghee Massage Works Wonders For Dry Skin In Babies
If the baby skin is severely dry and bleeding with pain, you must visit the pediatrician and take proper medical treatment to relieve your baby from this unbearable skin condition.
Affiliate Disclaimer –
This Post contains Affiliate Links, that means if you purchase any recommended products through these links, it will help me earn a small commission. But it will not cost you any extra charge.