Here is a list of foods to avoid during pregnancy
1. Fish With High Mercury Amounts
Fish like shark, swordfish, ahi tuna, and orange roughy, etc, are high in mercury amount. Avoid eating all the high mercury fish during pregnancy to eliminate the risk.
2. Raw Meats And Poultry
Any kind of raw meat and poultry is not recommended during pregnancy. It should be thoroughly cooked and served to a pregnant mom. Eating raw meat can make you sick and can harm your unborn baby too. Always make sure it is properly cooked for consumption.
3. Unpasteurized Milk
You must prefer having pasteurized milk over raw milk. The process of pasteurization kills microbes as it is boiled at a very high temperature.
Also, avoid any dish that is made with raw milk. The bacteria present in raw milk can be harmful to you and your baby too.
Related Read: Benefits Of Walking During Pregnancy
4. Soft Cheese
Soft cheese variety like feta cheese, camembert, blue cheese, chevre, or brie is bad for a pregnant mom’s health. Soft cheese during pregnancy is a really bad idea. It is made in a process where the cheese is exposed to a harmful bacterium called listeria. This bacteria is extremely dangerous for your unborn baby.
5. Unwashed Fruits And Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables often come with harmful pesticides. You need to wash the vegetables and fruits thoroughly before eating. The harmful chemicals, wax, and pesticides can harm you and your baby in a very bad manner.
6. Eggplant / Brinjal
Eggplant and brinjal is a commonly eaten vegetable across the world. Eating it in a moderate amount can be helpful during pregnancy. But due to its heat-producing element, you may just skip eating eggplant during pregnancy.
This fruit is very healthy in general. But eating papaya may lead to bleeding during pregnancy. Especially the raw papaya is advised to be skipped completely in pregnancy. Eating papaya during pregnancy may lead to early labor and contractions.
Eating papaya in the first trimester can lead to miscarriage too. It is also recommended not to eat papaya during pregnancy.
Related Read: Benefits Of Saffron During Pregnancy
Pineapple is another fruit that can trigger contractions. There has been a lot of debates over the consumption of pineapple during pregnancy. Many people claim that pineapple is a healthy choice in pregnancy, but many people do not feel so.
My gynecologist too had recommended that I should not have pineapple for one more reason that it is high in sugar and a high amount of sugar is not good during pregnancy.
In the confusion over to have or not to have pineapple in pregnancy, I preferred to skin=p this fruit completely during my pregnancy.
9. Excessive Caffeine
I know, coffee is the favorite beverage of many moms including me. But getting addicted to coffee can be really harmful in pregnancy. You may limit your intake of coffee (hot or cold) or can prefer to skip it completely if you can.
Going for healthy fruit juices and smoothies would be a better option while being pregnant.
10. Too Much Of Sugar
Many moms do get high sugar levels during pregnancy. Eating a high amount of sugary beverages and desserts can lead to getting diabetes too. A pregnant woman should not have more than 30g of free sugars per day (approximately 7 sugar cubes).
Free sugar is described as the sugar present in desserts, chocolates, biscuits, and beverages, etc.
11. Raw Or Undercooked Eggs
Eating raw or undercooked eggs is not advised during pregnancy. Raw eggs contain a dangerous bacteria called salmonella. Consumption of raw or partially cooked eggs can be dangerous for a pregnant mom and her unborn baby too.
Make sure you eat a fully cooked egg and the yolk is firm not liquidy while eating.
12. Foods Containing High Amount Of Vitamin A
An excessive amount of Vitamin A is not recommended during pregnancy. It can be harmful to the fetus and can lead to several birth defects. Hence, here are some foods not to eat during pregnancy.
What Should You Avoid When Pregnant?
- Liver or liver products
- Supplements Containing Vitamin A
- Cod liver Oil
- Carrot and carrot juice (you can eat carrots or have carrot juice in moderate quantity, do not go overboard)
- Avoid Eating Sweet Potatoes In Excessive Amount
Healthy Eating Tips During Pregnancy
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated
- Do not skip meals
- Have an early dinner to avoid the issues of heartburn
- Avoid eating too cold or too hot foods
- Minimize spices in your food
- Prefer less oily food
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages including coffee
- Prefer to have food at home which is cooked in a hygienic environment rather than eating out and being uncertain about the hygiene
- Go for steamed vegetables, soups, and salads, etc.
- Any doubts about diet and food habits, consult with your gynecologist and nutritionist
Whenever I was doubtful about food, I would check with my gynecologist or would google most of the time. If I get even single negative feedback on that specific food, I would skip if from my pregnancy diet completely. Mom’s fears you know.
Avoid eating the above-mentioned foods to be a happy and healthy mother and also to have a healthy baby.
Things You Need In Pregnancy – Essentials For A Happy Pregnancy
- Comfortable Maternity Shoes – Dr. Scholl’s Shoes Women’s Luna Sneaker
- Comfortable Maternity Clothes – Comfy Maternity Wear From Walmart
- Maternity Pillow – Comfortable Maternity Pillow From Walmart
- Prenatal Vitamins – Prenatal Vitamins From Walmart
- Other Comfy Footwear – Comfy Maternity Footwear From Walmart
- Non-toxic Moisturizer – Pregnancy Safe Non-toxic Moisturizer
- Stretch Mark Care Cream – Creams That Help You Prevent and Reduce Stretch Marks