Dalia Khichdi Recipe:
Moms always want to offer their kids nutritious foods that they really enjoy to eat. Khichdi is a wholesome one-pot meal that can be enjoyed by children as well as adults. It is that comfort food a mother can prepare for her kids at any time.
Here is such an amazingly healthy recipe of khichdi that kids will love to eat. Dalia is easily digestible and has multiple health benefits for everyone in the family. Doctors often prescribe this as the first food for babies in a semi-solid form.
Dalia Khichdi Recipe With Vegetables
Daliya/Dalia or broken wheat is extremely healthy for all ages. It is considered a superfood rich in Fiber, Protein, and Vitamin B.
Nutritional Info Of Dalia/Broken Wheat
1 Cup Dalia consists of approximately:
- 530 Calories
- 12 gms Protein
- 115 gm Carbohydrates
- 2 gms Fats
- 2.5 gms Fiber
- 7 mg Iron
The other ingredients like Moong Dal which is very high in protein and super nutritious veggies like carrot, beans, peas, tomato, potato, onion make this dalia khichdi a wholesome diet for kids and the adults.
You can take it in your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Dalia khichdi helps you keep yourself full for a long time. This is a wonderful and tasty way to introduce vegetables to your baby.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
Daliya/Dalia or broken wheat – 1 cup
Moong Dal – ¾ cup
Carrot – 2 pcs
Potato – 2 pcs (medium-sized)
Tomato – 2 (medium-sized)
Beans – 12 pcs.
Peas – ¼ cup
Onion – 1 (big)
Ginger Paste – 1tsp.
Cumin seed – ½ tsp.
Roasted cumin powder – ½ tsp.
Refined Oil – 2 tbsp.
Salt – as per taste
Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp.
Ghee – 1 tsp.
Water – 6 cup
Method to prepare Dalia Khichdi
- Wash and soak Dalia and moong dal separately in water 30 minutes before you start cooking.
- Chop carrots, french beans, tomatoes, potatoes into small pieces. Cut the onion finely.
- Put a pan on the gas stove. Pour 2 tsp oil and let it be heated.
- Drain the water from the dal and dalia completely. Fry the moong dal for some time so that the raw smell goes away.
- Keep this aside and pour some oil into the pan again.
- When the oil is hot, give carrot, french beans, and potato pieces into it and saute for some time on medium flame.
- Now put a cooker on the gas and pour the rest of the oil into it.
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds into it.
- Add the ginger paste and fry it for 1 minute.
- Now add the onion pieces and fry until light brown.
- Add the tomato pieces and add salt and turmeric powder into it. Stir well.
- Now, this is the time to add all the fried vegetables and peas, soaked and washed dalia and fried moong dal into the cooker. Mix everything and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- It would be great if you heat the water (no need to boil) and pour it into the mixture.
- Put the lid of the cooker and cook on a medium flame for 4 whistles.
- When the pressure goes off, open the lid. Add the ghee and mix well. Sprinkle the roasted cumin powder on the top and serve.
Note: While introducing dalia to baby, please avoid adding salt and go minimal on spices or you can completely skip them. Make it more watery in the beginning, and go on offering a thick consistency in the next servings. You can grind it to a smooth soup-like consistency for the baby of 6 months plus of age.
Try out this Dalia Khichdi Recipe by Sankhamala Parua, this will surely be loved by your kids.
She also has shared a few more recipes here – 5 Easy, Tasty and Healthy Snacks Ideas for Kids
About Sankhmala Parua:
Sankhamala is a content writer and a proud mother of a boy of 10 years. She enjoys the challenges of motherhood and always believes that thoughtful parenting can raise a child to be an achiever in life. Besides an M.A. in Comparative Literature, she has completed many other professional courses. She runs the motherhood and parenting blog Creative Corner 4 U